My mom put together a cookbook with a bunch of family recipes and this is a classic. I’ve done a little bit of entertaining this summer and my recipe du jour right now are these simple Lemon Squares. They’re easy to make and they’re aways a crowd favorite.
What are your favorite summertime baking treats?
Erin's Favorite Lemon Squares
Simple and delicious, these classic lemon squares pack a citrus-sweet kick that everyone will love.
- 1⅔ cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large lemons (zest and juice)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Beat butter and sugar together in mixing bowl until blended
- Add salt and flour to mix until mixed well and crumbly. Do not over mix.
- Pat mixture into a 9×13 pan
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove to add filling
- Beat eggs with lemon juice and zest in a large mixer for 1 minute
- Add sugar, flower and baking powder and beat on high for 1-2 additional minutes until thick
- After removing the crust from the oven, pour mixture evenly over crust
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set, but do not overbake
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top while still warm. Let cool before slicing and serving
Make sure to get as much zest and juice as you can from the lemons. The strong lemon kick is what makes these bars amazing.
Use a sandwich bag or piece of cling wrap on your hand to pat down the crust into the pan. It will prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands.